Into Work Support

What can be more rewarding than giving someone an opportunity they deserve, by empowering them to be more independent and gain sustainable paid employment?

Contact details

Landport Community Centre,Charles St,Portsmouth PO1 1JD

Jay Munday

02392 296703

07843 210634

Claire Thomas

02392 296703

Inter Activ’s specialist Into Work team strive to open up paid employment opportunities for candidates with mild to moderate learning and/or physical disabilities including autism. Our skills coaches carefully profile and match individuals to roles that not only enable them to improve their skill set, but also achieve their goals of becoming more independent and progress onto either their preferred course or into meaningful, permanent employment.
Working in partnership with Inter Activ, we have been delivering training and providing work experience opportunities for our participants. This has included Maths and English education conducted in partnership with Portsmouth City College, Food Hygiene qualifications, Customer Service skill and CV training.
Work experience opportunities provided so far have included; Our work streams of marketing and web design, computer repair, ‘What’s it Like’ virtual tours, Landport Community Centre Café, Arts, crafts and gardening.
Once placed into employment, the participants are supported in the workplace for up to 12 weeks, to ensure a smooth transition into the workplace and aid longevity in their careers.
Key Facts:
Eligibility Aged 17+, Have a disability. Unemployed and not in education.
Level of Support For adults with mild/moderate or physical disabilities in a group coaching setting. 1-1 support provided for progression and employment opportunities.
Access By referral or enquiry.
Location Monday – Friday. Landport Community Centre, 9am – 3pm.
Costs Currently free to all eligible participants
More information Call Landport Community Centre on 023 92 296703 or email:

FAQs for Into Work Candidates

Q: Will money coming from employment mean that the Local Authority will pay less towards the funding of my care package?

A: No, income from employment should not be taken into account when assessing the contribution you need to make for your care.

Q: Will being employed affect my benefits?


Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Disability benefits such as Disability Living Allowance and PIP should not be affected by employment. They are not means tested so earnings do not affect the amount of your benefit.

However, starting work would be considered as a change in circumstance so you will need to inform the DWP of this. Starting work could actually mean your care or mobility needs increase.

Universal Credit

If you’re employed, how much Universal Credit you get will depend on your earnings. Your Universal Credit payment will reduce gradually as you earn more – usually for every £1 you earn your payment reduces by 63p.

However, it is possible that some of your earnings (up to a maximum of £512 per month) will be disregarded by applying for Work Allowance. This means that under the following circumstances you can earn a certain amount before your Universal Credit is reduced.

If you or your partner are either:

  • responsible for a child or young person
  • living with a disability or health condition that affects your ability to work.

Your work allowance is lower if you get help with housing costs. You can use the benefits calculator on… to see how increasing your hours or starting a new job could affect what you get.


If you are receiving ESA you can earn up to £140 per week after tax and National Insurance deductions if you are participating in a Supported Employment Scheme, such as the one run by Inter   Activ

Q: Will I receive any funding or grants to help me access work?

A: Access to Work is a publicly funded employment support programme that aims to help more disabled people start or stay in work. It can provide practical and financial support if you have a disability or long term physical or mental health condition.

How much you get depends on your circumstances. The money does not have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits.

Find more information at:

For the latest information go to

If you are in any doubt about the effect earnings from employment will have on your benefits, ask your Inclusive Employment Consultant.